The Old-Catholic or Anglican reverend serves full-time at Schiphol Airport, as part of an ecumenical team including Roman Catholic and Protestant ministers.
Objectives and Tasks
The primary objectives of the Airport Chaplains are to:
- Assist and care for passengers e.g. in cases of bereavement or other traumatic incidents
- Support the medical services for special passenger care
- Help refugees with practical problems: e.g. food, a bed for the night, directions to the appropriate authority
- Visit airport detainees in temporary custody
- Advice and help stranded passengers
- Work with airport personnel in the event of a disaster
- Lead the volunteer workers who help support distressed passengers and administer the multi-faith "Meditation Centre"
Click on a link to open a document. In the Wings & Prayers publications our chaplain describes several events he experienced as a chaplain of the Schiphol Airport Chaplaincy in Amsterdam.